Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Recital

The evening began with our 3 G.E.M.s scurrying about the house putting on the final touches to their costumes. They had the hair done, makeup on, masks, helmets, etc. Off we went to our...piano recital. It was so cute. There they were, the kids and their friends all in their special costumes for Halloween, ready to play the piano for moms and dads. First, Minnie Mouse was up. She proceeded to improvise her newly-found talent on the "white keys" with her teacher at her side. It was precious. So proud when she finished, she took a great big bow while carefully balancing those sequin-ensconced ears. Her smile was so big. Then after a few others, it was the Cheerleader's turn. All prim and proper (so unlike her usual self), she assumed the position. She began only to stop again. A pause. Another attempt. Pause. One more time...success! With a few glances at teacher during her performance, she finally got to the place...that place of confidence. "I don't need no stinkin' music" she thought to herself. So just to make the point, she throws her music over her head and proceeded to finish the piece sans notes. When it was over, the bow, the grin and the triumphant "I didn't need the music anymore!" (Whose kid is that anyway?) Finally, It was brother's turn. The Clone Trooper. He took his helmet off before he began at least. His countenance became very somber. This was serious business you know. The most difficult piece of the evening, he began. Again there was a pause. A glance at teacher. Another beginning. After several attempts, he finally found his fingers and did himself proud. This was new for him, to be this nervous at the keyboard. But he finally finished, made a choking motion to the video camera I was holding and was quietly seated (after much applause of course). Seeing these three put themselves out there is so fun to watch. They love music, but more than that, I think they love the attention. So much like their parents! It's a joy (and sometimes a frightening thing) to see so much of myself in them. They always surprise me and often reflect me. So I definitely need to keep on my toes and make sure that I'm always practicing, so I don't end up "choking" in front of them!

3 comments:

Mikee said...

Ah, I remember recitals. It is funny that tonight was there recital. I was at church tonight practicing for Sunday morning service with the rest of the band. Trying to remember those piano lessons were the teacher was patiently trying to teach me about using the 1st and 5ths for cord progression to make a smoother transition. It is still greek to me. Just give me dots on lines please. :) The older I get the less ability I have to improvise. I rather like being told exactly what to do when it comes to music. ;)

TwinLawyerMommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TwinLawyerMommy said...

(My first comment had a bad mistake in it...) I said thanks for sharing, and I am trying to be the woman I'd like my girls to be someday. It's hard!!!