Monday, January 19, 2009

'Tis the Season

Christmas is over. The turkey is gone. The gifts are unwrapped, but the tree stands alone. What's the deal with taking down the decorations? It's a simple thing right? Not so much. For some reason, I can't seem to bring myself to do it. I guess it's some sentimental subconscious thing I have. Putting it all away means admitting that it's all over. I don't feel the post-holiday blues or anything. I just like the prettiness of it all. But sadly, the time has come. It must all go away again to the deep, dark recesses of the black hole (a.k.a. the garage), to be tucked neatly away until the holidays come again.

There is a happy side to all this...Next, comes Spring! I love springtime. The colors change again to their lovely pastels, and green is everywhere. I attempt every year to successfully plant something, and not kill it. Some years are better than others. The sun comes out more, the days are longer, and the kids get to be outside more. Don't you love the smell of freshly mown grass? It's one of my favorites. I even enjoy mowing the lawn (occasionally). I love to garden, even though I have to brown thumbs. It's good therapy for the soul, even if I don't do it very well. I love to have the kids help me. The girls love to dig in the dirt too. They like learning about the different types of flowers. I like teaching them to appreciate God's creation. Love it. Get out there you all, and plant those roses! Then smell 'em.

2 comments:

Ishtar83 said...

I'm offended. To think that you would even dare to call the garage a "black hole" after all of my love & effort, sweat & tears, and broken finger nails. However, I also love to garden and can't wait for Spring too.
Carla

Jan Redelsperger said...

You are so different than me. I am ready for that tree to be out of here 10 minutes after the presents are opened. It doesn't happen that way, but it is generally gone the next day. Rarely has one of our trees made it to new years day. It is refreshing for me to get it all cleaned out. A few years back I stopped by a friends house to pick something up for PTA or something and it was like the February 15th and she still had her tree up. I was thinking this woman is in some deep depression, how can she leave a tree up this long? To each his own I guess.....