Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Dementia Sucks!

I just had a rough week. Educational, but rough. My parents came to visit. I love them. Dad was having a tough time with Mom, so I decided to take her for the day to give him a break. Wow. You see, Mom has had several mini strokes that has caused her to suffer from dementia. Now she is at about the same intellectual level as a one-year-old. The difference is, she is dangerous. She is strong, healthy (mostly) and able to escape without detection. Like a one-year-old, she will wander right into traffic, or down the street. It was a scary day. After about eight hours, I had to call Dad to come home because she kept trying to go out and find him. I felt bad because I couldn't control her as well as I had hoped. Poor Dad. I don't know how he does it. I just hope we can find a place for them to live where all concerned are happy and safe. With money being tight, and options limited, it's quite a challenge right now for Dad. I just pray that their circumstances change for the better soon. God is good. I know He's got a plan for us.

No comments: